Holy Boat

Yesterday I skipped the Carling Cup to visit a location I'd first looked at back in November. When I last visited it was torrential driving rain but made a note to come back on a better day. Earlier that afternoon I'd taken my youngest children to Loch Leven and noted how still it was and how the cloudscape was in a state of flux. Therefore an ideal day for inland lochs or reservoirs.

Hence later that afternoon I returned to Glensherrup. Immediately upon my arrival was a gorgeous scene. A single boat silhouetted with fisherman against the water with dramatic skies. However before I can get my camera out the boat drifted into an area of shadow and the chance had gone. The conditions looked very favourable though with transient light as clouds drifted across the sun.

As often is the case my favourite photograph was the last one I took on location. I am not sure why this happens, but that's how it is. To take the photograph I dragged an eight foot long pipe out the way and removed two old bait tubs from the boat itself. I am not sure if the boat has got a hole in it but I was attracted by the strong colours, floating oars and reflection of the sky inside the boat.

Since I was using the equivalent of a 16mm ultrawide angle lens, I hand held a graduated filter against the polariser to avoid vignetting of the corners. Three photographs were taken but this one had the best cloudscape. I packed up once the sky became a featureless bank of grey. As my other recent blog images this photograph was processed in Lightroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comment below.