My favourite church

In a previous blog I described my favourite minister. Today I’d like to share some wedding photographs from my favourite church. Dunfermline Abbey is an amazing venue to have your ceremony. If you look at the abbey’s north elevation you will notice it is actually two separate structures. The front half of the church includes parts of the original church constructed in 1128, the back half, where couples get married, was completed in 1821.

The following photographs are from Kim and Ryan’s wedding on the 8th April 2006. Before and after the service we experienced hail, snow, drizzle and brilliant sunshine. Thankfully it poured with rain during the service but it meant that light levels which are normally very low in the church, were even lower. Also the rules of the abbey are that photography is only permitted from the very back. – approximately 100 feet from the action.

One of the reasons I own professional wide angle and telephoto lenses is so I can make compelling photographs in difficult conditions. Using a tripod, fast film (ISO3200) and wide apertures I managed to capture the drama of one of the finest church interiors in Scotland. I also took one of my favourite bridal photographs of 2006 as the bride entered the abbey. While afterwards I captured a candid photograph of the groom holding the brides train.

After the wedding the couple celebrated at Lochgelly Town Hall. The following are a few of my favourites taken at their reception. I do like Fife weddings – Fifers are warm and generous folk with a wicked sense of humour. I have to say this as my fiancee and in-laws to be were all born in Fife. Seriously Fife is a superb place to get married – it has some of the best venues – i.e. St Andrews, Aberdour Castle and Dunfermline Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comment below.